Friday, February 20, 2015

The 2015 ACDA National Conference Post Three




Another post in anticipation of the 2015 ACDA national conference in Salt Lake City.

I'm going to gab about my carol book here, since my arrangement of "What Child is This" from the book is in the women's choir reading session next Thursday morning. The session is chaired by Iris Levine and I am sure there will be some awesome music for all to hear and read through. I am especially in awe of Iris's choice in literature.

My book, "Carols, distinctive arrangements for women's voices" has been a pretty big hit. I'm proud that I did all the work myself--I wrote all the music (traditional carols, plus some new compositions on trad. texts), worked with a cover designer and printer so that I would have complete control of the product, as well as not give away my copyrights or sales income. It was a daunting task, but I survived it! I think I spent about nine months straight living and creating Christmas carols! Ho ho ho!



 The carol book is available at this link http://paulcarey.net/carols.html

It is also available through Musical Resources of Toledo, OH. They will have a booth at the conference and copies of the book on hand.

Here is a soundcloud track of the piece on the reading session. The artists are the Seattle Girls' Choir directed by Jacob Winkler

https://soundcloud.com/paulcarey440/what-child-is-this

Here are some more tracks from Jacob. This is a new melody for In Dulci Jubilo

https://soundcloud.com/paulcarey440/in-dulci-jubilo

The Wexford Carol- a lovely Irish tune

https://soundcloud.com/paulcarey440/wexford-carol

A fun one- "We Wish you a Merry Christmas". Performed here by the Young Women's Choral Project, directed by Susan McMane.

https://soundcloud.com/paulcarey440/we-wish-you-a-merry-christmas-s-mcmane


And finally, here is a youtube of  Mandala directed by Sean Ivory singing four of the carols. The soloist on "There is No Rose of Such Virtue" (a new composition on the old text) has an absolutely amazing voice, especially for a high school singer.






So there you have it- my carols book which will be featured a bit at next Thursday morning's women's choir reading session. I will start that hour at the children's choir session and then try to get to the women's session about halfway through. And if you'd like to meet up with me, I will be at booth 8014 (the great new company MusicSpoke) Thursday afternoon from 3 to about 5. You can also sign up to talk to me during the meet the composers session later that same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment