Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sharing a student blog from St. Mary's College trip to China


Well the ACDA National Conference here in Chicago has just ended. It was an amazing experience and I will try to start blogging about it, plus blog about my experience teaching in Hong Kong the week previous to ACDA (wow, I am exhausted, but in a good way). There were so many fabulous new directions at ACDA, and one that really jumped out was the youth movement that was so obvious- but more on that later.

For those of you curious about a choir trip to China (or just looking for new ideas about planning international trips in general), Nancy Menk's St. Mary's College Women's Choir is in China right now, and Nancy and I discussed having the young women guest blog on my page. They've done far better- they have set up their own blog and they've been pretty busy on it. There's lots of good information and fun firsthand reflections there, so I encourage you to take a look at it. Right now I think they are just really getting into their singing,and one thing I think is truly great is that it is an exchange program with a Chinese women's choir. So these two choirs are singing for each other, trading ideas, and so on, This is so valuable and way better than just having ABC or XYZ tour company set up the usual rather random concert opportunities that you usually see. These young women are going to make lifelong friends with women their age who live across the globe. I'm also thrilled that they are doing my piece Winter Solstice and have added a solo dancer to the piece- I really want to see/hear this version!

I will repost the link every few days for those who may have forgotten to take a look right away, and it will be fun for us all to see the blogposts evolve over the next week.

Thanks,

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment