Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Bradley University Chorale Spring Tour- El Limonar Florido


If you are near Watseka or Bloomington, IL, Cincinnati, OH, or Evansville, IN March 15-17th please try to attend a concert  by the Bradley University Chorale on their Spring tour (with home concerts in Peoria April 7th and 28th). The chorale and chamber singers are presenting a wonderful, quite varied program which includes my multi-movement piece El Limonar Florido (The Lemon Grove in Blossom) with texts by the great Spanish poet Antonio Machado (SATB/solo violin/solo cello). I was down to Peoria a few weeks ago to work with the chorale and their fine conductor John Jost on El Limonar and I have to say that this is a great, very lyrical choir whose members also just happen to have a great amount of fun and camaraderie as they work. Our evening together was quite a blast, I must say.

If you would like to know more about El Limonar Florido visit my website which includes audio of the piece as performed by the Calvin College Kappelle under Joel Navarro.Here is the lovely text (in translation) of movment three:

The torn cloud, the rainbow
now gleaming in the sky,
and the fields enveloped
in a beacon of rain and sun.
I woke. Who is confounding
the magic crystal glass of my dream?
My heart was beating
aghast and bewildered.
The lemon grove in blossom,
cypresses in the orchard,
the green meadow, the sun, water, rainbow,
the water in your hair!
And all in my memory was lost
like a soap bubble in the wind.

The chorale will also be taking this program on tour of Spain in late May and I am going with them! It will be my first time traveling in Spain and I really look forward to it. El Limonar has been sung in Spain by the choir that commissioned it a number of years ago, and it was well-received by the Spanish audience. I hope that will happen again (I have my fingers and toes crossed). We will be traveling to Madrid, Granada, Seville, Cordoba, and Cadiz. I guess I will have to return in the future to see Barcelona!

I am especially thankful for John Jost's wonderful musicality, and the fact that he is not just a choral conductor but also an accomplished string player seems to be make the ensemble of SATB plus solo violin and solo cello on my piece really unified and highly expressive. John has a close connection to the string players which is obvious- he knows exactly what he wants from them, has marked their bowings himself, and knows exactly how the players will produce the string sound he desires- a big advantage over those with no string background.

John Jost


Bradley Chorale Spring Tour Concert Dates

Friday, March 15, 2012
7:00 pm                      
Concert at Watseka First United Methodist Church
301 S. 4th St.
Watseka, IL 60970


Saturday, March 16, 2013
7:00 p.m.        
Concert at Mt. Washington Presbyterian Church

6474 Beechmont Ave.
Cincinnati OH 45230; 513-231-2650


Sunday, March 17, 2003
7:00 p.m.
St. Benedict Cathedral
1328 Lincoln Ave
Evansville, IN  47715
812-425-3369

Also March 15 - Washington Community High School, Washington IL
Bloomington High School, Bloomington IL

April 7 - Dingeldine Music Center, Peoria
April 28 - Westminster Presbyterian Church, Peoria




BRADLEY CHORALE SPRING TOUR PROGRAM – MARCH 15-18, 2013

CHAMBER SINGERS:

Alessandro Scarlatti: Properate fideles

CHORALE:

Eric Whitacre: Lux aurumque

Alberto Ginastera: Lamentations of the Prophet Jeremiah
1. O vos omnes
Tomas Luis de Victoria: Caligaverunt occuli mea

W. A. Mozart: Missa brevis in Bb, K. 275
Kyrie
Sanctus
Benedictus
Agnus Dei

Paul Carey: El Limonar Florido (The Lemon Grove in Blossom) (texts: Antonio Machado)
1. Tal vez la mano, en sueño
2. Tarde, tranquila, casi
3. Desgarrada la nube; el arco iris
4. Luz del alma

György Orbán: Mundi renovatio

CHAMBER SINGERS:

Ysaye M. Barnwell: Wanting Memories
Stephen Hatfield: Ain’t that news
John Ratledge: Cool of the day

CHORALE:
Stacey Gibbs: Lord, I don’t feel no ways tired
Augustus Hill: Fix me, Jesus


No comments:

Post a Comment